Pakistan Hunting And Sporting Arms Development Company
1. Stake holder’s workshop/seminar was held in Peshawar on 13th November 2008. Manufacturers of arms from Dara Adam Khel (DAK), and the arms manufacturers of Peshawar participated. Similar exercise was repeated in Karachi and Quetta on 25th November 2008 and 28th November 2008 respectively. In these seminars traders, importers and exporters participated. This activity resulted in dissemination of information about the existence of company and its objectives among the stake holders. Additionally we received very fruitful input from the target group which will help us in designing our future interventions.
2. Interaction of industry experts in metallurgy and machining with the gun manufacturers of Peshawar and Darra Adam Khel. This exercised was widely appreciated by the target group and they had requested for elaborated and more frequent sessions. We are planning similar exercise in different geographical and functional areas.
3. Participation in IDEAS 2008. Unlike our previous participation this time we made much improved presentation with advertising materials like backdrops, vertical stands, video display etc. In this event we had sponsored and facilitated 6 SMEs who displayed their products on the stall. Approximately 300 visitors took interest in our products Response of this event was commendable and our SMEs are still getting queries from these visitors.
4. Developed documentary on gun making, displayed the same on various occasions.
5. Development of export procedures for the prospective exporters. This document has been translated in Urdu for better understanding by the target readers.
6. Team building remains a tough exercise. We have been successful in identifying and employing perspective candidates on the vacant slot.
7. Website development for PHSADC was long due; we initiated this process and have launched the project. It is now available on www.phsadc.org (Beta version of the site)
8. Terms of Reference (ToRs) for development of Drawings of Various weapons completed by our team and the same were verified by external experts.
9. Training arrangements on powder coating by Norwegian company “Jotun” finalized and will be conducted in Peshawar in the February 09.
10. Training on Export Marketing was conducted for SMEs from DAK, and Peshawar cluster by utilizing our own team.
11. Quality enhancement of local products through technical inputs provided to 4 SMEs in Peshawar cluster.
12. Survey of Machining issues faced by SMEs in Peshawar completed through experts from Lahore.
13. Modalities of Raw Material ware house finalized with the private sector and People Steel Mills Karachi. Two such facilities would be established, one each in DAK and Kohat Road Peshawar. First RM ware house will be made operative in the 3rd week of February 09.
14. Presentations on PHSADC (New vision & action plan) were made to the Governor (NWFP) and Federal Minister for Industries and production.
15. Provincial Minister for Industries visited the office of PHSADC for inauguration of the office and a meeting with the stakeholders.
16. Training program with POF Wah is initiated. Two experts of POF will visit Peshawar shortly and will complete the exercise of training need assessment of the target group.
17. Besides other quality problems in hunting and sporting arms, springs used in the guns and pistols is on the most frequent complaint list of the users. Spring testing facilitation for Peshawar and DAK gum maker is taken up with PCSIR. Modalities for spring testing on the fatigue machine available at PCSIR Peshawar finalized.
18. Visit to POF Wah by the Chairman and the staff where different quality aspects on machining, metallurgy and surface treatment etc were discussed in detail. Arrangements for availability of quality spring for guns are taken up with POF Wah, while the concerned management promised to facilitate our target group.
19. Common Facility Center (CFTC) reworked and its establishment is chalked out with FDA.
20. Modalities of intervention with Smith & Wesson (USA) discussed during IDEAS 2008 exhibition.
21. Technical support dialogue with SARSALMAZ (Turkey) initiated and their response awaited on proof housing facilitation
22. Office shifting and renovation task completed.
23. Internship program undertaken with different Universities, Engineering Colleges and Business schools etc. for making available fresh, energetic and creative entry to PHSADC with no cost.
24. Market interface visit to the sector champions in Lahore by our marketing team.
25. Meetings with the Management of DEPO by the Chairman, Staff and Board member on regulatory issues and international representation of the key players of the sector.
26. Plan for the display of sporting guns at 5 star hotels and international airports are being finalized while the same is discussed with Pearl Continental Hotel Peshawar.
27. Arrangement for participation of private sector in IWA Germany exhibition is finalized while IWA management is also asked if the space for exhibiting the products is provided.
28. Exhibition/ shooting competition arrangements with Guns club Islamabad initiated. The event is scheduled on 28th February 2009.
29. Market renaissance survey of Sialkot, Wazirabad completed and few gun makers and other sporting, hunting accessories manufacturers identified. Detail survey modalities are being finalized with other development partners including SMEDA, TUSDEC, TDAP and TEVTA.
30. Facilitated new Investment in Pistol Unit in Peshawar by educating the entrepreneur on procedures and handholding him in reaching to the concerned offices.
31. Export facilitation to local SMEs and importer from Sudan by match making with local manufacturers/ traders and also helped him in shipment arrangements.
32. Started working on Catalogue and CD.
33. Negotiation with sky cargo (emirates airlines) furnished for facilitating our exporting SMEs.
34. Seminar in Lahore held on 6th of February 09 at Avari Hotel was attended by traders and manufacturers of guns and pistols. Officials of TEVTA and our Board member also attended the event.
35. Visit of our technical staff to different labs, machining shops and engraving facilities in Lahore. This was focused on identifying the processes that could help our target group either through provision of training or treatment of the gun/pistol components.
36. Stakeholder seminar held in Sialkot in the conference hall of the Sialkot Chamber of Commerce and Industry
37. Database generation of our target group country wide will be initiated soon. This will include manufacturers, traders, concerned associations and trade bodies etc. Road map for this exercise is being worked out and the questionnaires developed. We are about to start the census.
38. virtual showrooms for manufacturers & discussion forums for hunter on internet are being planned